Wednesday, February 24, 2010

For Love of a Lollipop

Today, among (many) other (crazy) things, I took the boys for their maiden voyage at an official "hair place." 45 minutes later, we emerged, 50% successful. Here's how it went.

Enter soaking-wet mom and 2 cute-but-shaggy boys.

Enter hair stylists who take more time to computerize us than they would have, had they known who we were (and the thin ice upon which we tread in public).

Enter younger son, all-of-a-sudden nervous to be placed upon a foreign seat, when all the haircuts he had previously known took place at home in the kitchen with a portable DVD player.

Enter older son, sensitive to others' feelings and terrified of new experiences, who had previously been silent, but now at his brother's encouragement, joined in on the full-blown tears.

Enter exasperated mom, who clings to the knowledge that older son PROMISED to be okay at the hair place, all-the-while knowing it was hopeless.

Enter coats and hats, with embarrassed farewell to hair stylists (who promise it will get better when the boys are older (who are they kidding? how do they know?)).

Enter younger son, pointing to bowl of lollipops.

"Um, NO WAY cute-but-ragamuffin-son," says Fuming Mother. "No haircut = No lollipop."

Exit coat and hat.

Enter new-and-improved younger son, all-of-a-sudden brave and strong, marching over to foreign seat.

Re-enter hairstylist, ready for the fastest haircut of her life, in case he changes his mind.

Enter mannequin (aka younger son), who barely twitched a muscle the whole time for fear of losing gold-medal prize, now almost within his grasp.

Exit cute-and-clean-cut younger son, proud and sticky with sucker in hand (after a full minute of choosing "just the right one").

Exit grumpy-and-shaggy lollipop-less older son, who refused to keep promise because he was "kidding." Sigh.

The score:

Mom: 1

Kids: 1

9 comments:

  1. Love it! My boys would never let me cut their hair, so they've done plenty of crying in the barber's chair. One hand to hold their hands down and the other to keep them looking at you instead of the scissors worked for me. Also sticking that lollipop in right away to stifle the screaming :)

    I make John take them now. They're much more stoic for their dad. Especially if they get to watch him get a haircut first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was awesome. It suddenly makes me glad that I only have to cut Tyler's hair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL ok this actually made me laugh OUT LOUD! I had to read it to Gavin lol. He says, "well D got it! But B didn't" lol. Amazing the powers of a lollipop! Maybe you should keep a jar in your home! lol! Thanks for sharing this Janelle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a memory to savor...Way to go D-man!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha ha ha ha! Mark has way shaggy hair right now. Borderline mullet because of his hiddeous and dangerous thrashing last time i had scissors near his coratid artery. good for D man.
    BTW, early intervention folks are coming to assess Mark on Tuesday. I am sick of the no talking. He might not qualify, but I kinda hope he does. How's D coming with his chatting?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where was their Aunt when they needed me?! I love how D-man didn't move a muscle once he knew the prize, that saved the stylist :) From the cutter's point of view, I've learned you gotta go w the flow, not against it-- yes that means every which angle even when they whip their head around at inopportune moments. Takes me 10 mins flat! Ah, the joys of cutting kids... Now post the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no! I bet that was a tense little while! I love the part about how he was "kidding" haha...kids come up with the funniest stuff. Glad you made it out of there alive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way you write. You could probably kill me with your rhetoric!! It was the same story, but better even than when you told it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was AWESOME. I can totally imagine you in that situation. You're so calm and cool, though. I would have had a break down right with the kids.

    ReplyDelete