I am the first to admit that I don't really know how to play. You know, really play, like little kids do. Imagination, creativity, spontaneity; those aren't part of my everyday life. This makes being a mom sometimes difficult. My boys are always asking me to "play" with them, but I'm just not good at it. Give me rules to a game, and I'll play, but kids don't have rules (or they come and go in seconds without informing you what they are...).
But,
every now and again, I have a breakthrough.
Today was one of those days. We did a little chicken dance, a little yoga dancing, some jumping around the room, some hoop-shooting (complete with announcing and dodging imaginary opponents), and my favorite:
We all laid down on the floor with a pillow and blanket (my secret attempt at a much-wanted nap), and suddenly, D-man starts snorting. He looks over at me through fake-closed eyes, and smiles that fiendish grin he is so good at. So we all joined in. Giggles and laughter ensued. Fake snoring is so much fun.
Later, when we went to get the mail, D-man was examining a spot where he previously used to squish ants (he is obsessed with stomping on "buh-buh" (used to mean just bees, but he has expanded it to anything that lives outside and is smaller than his hand)). There were no ants there anymore, and I suggested that maybe they were under the ground, sleeping. He smiled, put his hand to his ear as if to listen, and snored. :)
It was a fun day. As I tucked Mr. B in tonight, he said, "You know what my favorite part of today was, mom?"
"What?"
"Dancing and snoring." giggle giggle
Me too, buddy.
Me, too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I feel the same way. My girls are always asking me to play house with them and I have forgotten how. I do have some games they like to play, but they are still structured and often educational. I am SOOOO boring.
ReplyDeleteGood job :) I love it.
ReplyDeleteMy heart felt happy when I read this.
ReplyDeleteI loved this post. I can totally relate to it. I love it when we have a fun, silly day every once in a while. :)
ReplyDelete