Monday, October 5, 2009

Apple Cake

I had a request for the Apple Cake recipe, so here it is, in case anyone else wants to try it. SO DELICIOUS. It comes through my mom, originally from a lovely woman we knew in Tacoma, with a sauce recipe from a lifetime friend of my parents.

FRESH APPLE CAKE
(recipe is for 9x13 pan. Use half for an 8x8" pan. Stir by hand)

In 4-quart mixing bowl, combine:
4 cups apples, peeled and diced in large pieces
2 cups sugar
Stir in:
1/2 cup oil

Stir in:
2 well-beaten eggs
2 tsp. vanilla

Stir together and then add:
2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. soda
2 tsp. cinnamon

Add: 1 cup nuts, if desired

Immediately pour into 9x13 greased and floured pan.
Bake for about 1 hour at 325.

Serve with ice cream, whipped cream, or caramel sauce (below).

Caramel Sauce: (Makes quite a bit, but it's super yummy.)

Place in saucepan:
2 cups sugar
2 cups evaporated canned (NOT sweetened condensed) milk
1 cup butter

On stove top, stir until butter is melted.
Turn heat to "low" and boil slowly until thick, stirring occasionally.
(Easy to burn, so let it take its time on low heat.)

Pour warm over cake and serve.

This is so yummy--enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. YUM!!! I have an apple tree I don't know what to do with, so I'll make this right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i made this a couple weeks ago and it took like 2 hours for the sauce to thicken....is it really supposed to take that long?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So after I called you about the sauce not thickening after two hours, I just left it on the stove and went about my day for two more hours, and it THICKENED!!! Beautiful deliscious caramel sauce, much superior to the smuckers sundae syrup in my fridge! I think my low may be LOW on my stove, but even if it hadn't thickened it was SCRUMPTIOUS at the two hour mark as well. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete