Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Friday the 13th

I was feeling so great after taking D-man and BabyGirl to Costco one day--so proud that I got out of the house and accomplished something (the man who checked my receipt was even impressed at how much I fit into my cart!!).  I should have known we were in for something.  D-man was helping me bring everything inside, and tripped at the doorway, and somehow (to this day I still do not understand how) cut his finger.  After a few moments of panic, I calmed down, wrapped it up as best as I could, got a bag of ice, threw all of the cold groceries in the fridge, and loaded up to head to the ER.  I have to say, that is the biggest rush for nothing--you drive like a maniac only to sit and watch the news in the waiting room for 2 hours (and try not to let your kid pay attention to the awful stories they cover)!!!  Luckily, this hospital has an awesome program--Pediatric Advocates or something.  A nice grandma-looking woman brought out a little gift bag to the waiting room, with playdo, coloring book, bubbles, a Lego Man, a stuffed animal, and some other things.  I thought that was nice, but she ended up staying with us the entire day.  Mallory--such an angel to save our day.  And the icing on the cake for the little man was her IPad.  His eyes lit up like it was Christmas.  "Do you have Angry Birds?"  He played for hours, almost forgetting his injury. 

Anyway, after they finally looked at it, they agreed that it would need stitches, and sent us for an X-Ray.  He did indeed fracture the tip of the bone, but it didn't require further attention.  Luckily by now R had arrived, to take over for the procedure.  The brave little guy only cried for a few seconds for the numbing shot, and it was back to playing games.  :)  And he held "perfectly still."  Upon returning home, I found his fingernail on the floor.  It was so weird, because I could have sworn he still had a fingernail, but apparently not.  I will put a picture of it at the bottom, so don't scroll down if you have a delicate stomach!!

The bandage had to be changed every day, and it proved to be a bit of a process.  R and I had to take turns the first time, as it was pretty gory, and the gauze stuck on pretty good.  But he took over after that and did a great job keeping it clean and protected.  It was healing great, until about 2 weeks later when he caught it in a screen door.  It bled again, but didn't seem to bad, and now is looking pretty good.  The orthopedist we saw a week later wasn't sure if the nail would grow back or not, so we'll see.  We think we see a bit of a start in the last few days, but it is hard to tell.

D-man was very blessed not to have a lot of pain.  He was dealing with three injuries, really.  The loss of nail, the cut, and the bone break.  But he never complained that it hurt.  Just having it bandaged was awkward.  I am so proud of him to go through all of that and be so patient.

The highlight of the whole process?  Yup, Angry Birds.  :)

Here are some pictures, but beware!
13th
 
 14th
 16th
 18th

No comments:

Post a Comment