Monday, August 23, 2010

Red Sox

We bought Red Sox tickets back in January for LDS Family night on July 31st. The boys have been so excited! We bought knock-off t-shirts for the occasion (and doubled them for 4th of July) since it was the boys' first time.

After some hullabaloo on public transportation, we arrived just in time for the opening pitch. I'll admit that the heat and distance from home plate made it hard to get the boys to pay attention at first, especially with so many friends sitting nearby! But once the sun went down enough to make a shadow, we got them more into it, and had a great time!
We were down most of the game, with a failed comeback in the 7th inning when Big Papi struck out. We did sit a few rows behind some avid fans who started the wave, which was pretty exciting! Then in the bottom of the 9th (classic, right?), we got some runners on base (they walked Youki to bring up Ortiz; what were they thinking?) and Big Papi redeemed himself with a 3-scoring double hit. Awesome! It was so exciting! Mr. B had finally gotten into it by then, and yelled "GO!" right before the hit, so he claims credit for the win!
Afterward, I was trying to get D-man excited about winning, as he seemed confused.

"We won, D-man!"
"No, I not win."
"Yes, we're the Red Sox."
"No, I not look like them." (The B hat wasn't enough, apparently.)
"Do you remember for Halloween, when you were a Red Sox boy?" (Shameless plug for past Mommy-efforts, no?)
"Huh?" (half smile)
"Do you want to wear your costume?"
"I not bring it."
"Yes, mommy brought it in the backpack."
"Huh?" (huge smile)
"Do you want to put it on?"
**Bigger smile.**

He pranced around that ballpark like he had scored the winning run! Telling all his friends multiple times (with hands on hip and chest puffed out)

"Look at me! I Red Sox boy!"

I took a quick trip to the restroom on our way out, and upon my return, R told me that D-man had looked around and declared "I need a bat, Daddy!" Apparently his getup was still not sufficient! We couldn't resist, and bought him a plastic ball and bat at the souvenir shop across the street from the park (the kind you can actually use, at least)

I feel like one of those Mastercard commercials:
Red Sox Tickets: $28
Subway, Parking, and Food: $30
Uniform and Baseball bat: hours of labor and $15
Three-year-old on top of the world?
PRICELESS
SO many fans commented on how cute he was as we made our way home (my mommy pride was soaring), and we couldn't disagree. "Coolest kid in the world right now," one guy said.

True, true.

4 comments:

  1. What a fabulous costume!! Um, Mark might need you to give me some tips to make that costume for him this fall. HELP! What a great game experience. Our kids LOVE Red Sox.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad the boys had fun, you are such a cool Mom. Costume in the bag. Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so jealous, haven't been to Fenway since May 11, 2000, but really, who's keeping track. Luckily I have a conference for work that is sending me to Boston and I'll be going Sept 17th!! Your boys are adorable and I think it's awesome that you brought the costume in your backpack...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is DARLING!! Man, that kid is cute. Also. Some day I may take you up on that east coast tour hosting offer. :)

    ReplyDelete