Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Drive Trip: Phase 2

Day 3, Part 1: Gettysburg

On Monday we packed up and drove to Gettysburg, heading for The Museum and Visitor Center at Gettysburg National Military Park. It was a stifling hot day, and we were glad to get out of the parking lot into the air-conditioned museum (at least initially I was; after a while I was FREEZING!) . We were very impressed with the whole place--the movie was well-done, the cyclorama AMAZING, and there were many, many artifacts on display (with plenty-o'-guns to distract the boys from how long we were taking).

Here they are trying to heft a typical soldier's pack....
I have always had such an interest in the Civil War, and remember studying it in 8th grade somewhat extensively. It is truly amazing to think about all of the events and emotions encompassed by it. I am so grateful for what it meant for our country, even if changes did not happen immediately in its' wake.

After the museum, we followed the battlefield trail, and drove up Culp's Hill. It was really poignant seeing all of the individual monuments--how many states were represented, and how thickly the soldiers must have been on that hill with so many groups convening there. We even climbed the lookout tower (it was higher than it looked!), trying to imagine what it would have been like.
Here is R at the top, with the Cemetery in the background.

Mr. B kept making crazy faces in pictures,
but I guess it's better to at least see his face this time?!

Yes, we dressed them similarly when we could; it's easier when you're sightseeing to just look for one outfit twice!

We walked briefly around the Gettysburg National Cemetery, and then went on our way to Harrisburg, glad that we made the effort to go.


The boys couldn't get enough of the cannons everywhere:

No comments:

Post a Comment